Will my invention be protected? 2 Answers as of August 18, 2010

I made sketches and wrote a description of a basic invention that I have been thinking about for a long time. I notarized the papers and then I mailed it to myself. Am I ok now? I am going to start marketing my idea.

Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
No, you must obtain a patent or some other protection (eligibility depends on the invention and/or product of the invention). As stated above, you should seek an attorney to assist you in protecting your idea from being stolen while you are seeking to market your idea. There are important deadlines with the Patent Office you should consider before you market your product.
No. Protection of IP requires following the rules and regulations for registration, patent application, etc. If you do not know how to do so yourself, then you should hire a patent attorney, or search for help firm to work with you. Check them out before spending any money, and try to avoid scam companies claiming to help you.