Will my inheritance be a factor in my divorce? How? 10 Answers as of July 28, 2015

Will my small inheritance be a factor in my divorce?

The Law Office of Kimberly D. Moss
The Law Office of Kimberly D. Moss | Kimberly Moss
Your inheritance is your separate property. In Texas, most earned income, assets, and other valuables are considered community property after you become married. However, the one notable exception to this general rule is inheritance. No matter the size of your inheritance, it is your separate property and is not required to be divided in your community estate. For more information about this, be sure to consult with a local divorce attorney.
If there has been no transmutation (commingling) then no.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
It depends on whether it needs to be taken into consideration based on what each party is left with.
A gift or inheritance given to a spouse during the course of the marriage is considered separate property. You should make sure that you sequester those proceeds so they are easy to identify as belonging to you. The proceeds should have no relationship to property division.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Although your inheritance would be considered nonmarital property it might be a factor in showing the relative economic positions of the parties in the division of the marital property. It depends on how small the inheritance is.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Not if you don't co-mingle it with marital funds or marital assets.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    The inheritance is yours alone unless you commingle it with marital monies.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    Your inheritance is your separate property and your spouse is not entitled to any portion of it. However, it you commingle it with community property, your spouse may have a claim to it.
    Probably not but depends on the details.
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    In Illinois an inheritance is considered a non marital asset. There are some exceptions. If you pkCed the funds in a joint account with your spouse it could then become marital. It is best to meet and retain counsel to protect your interests.