Will my information on the felony registration website be deleted after completing my plea deal? 1 Answers as of February 17, 2011

I got arrested when I was a minor but my case was transferred to adult court. Adjudication was withheld and no convictions were made. I pled no contest and took a deal from the state. I am currently on house arrest for that and had to register with criminal/felony registration. Will my info be removed from the website after everything is over? And why did I have to register as a felon when I wasn't convicted?

Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
Hi, according to the statute (copied in part, below), you have to register whether adjudication was withheld or not. To be honest, I'm not sure if they would take down your info after the plea deal is completed, or only after the record is sealed. What site are you on? I can check it out for you. 775.13 Registration of convicted felons, exemptions; penalties.

(1) As used in this section, the term "convicted" means, with respect to a person's felony offense, a determination of guilt which is the result of a trial or the entry of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.

(2) Any person who has been convicted of a felony in any court of this state shall, within 48 hours after entering any county in this state, register with the sheriff of said county, be fingerprinted and photographed, and list the crime for which convicted, place of conviction, sentence imposed, if any, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. If the felony conviction is for an offense that was found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have been committed for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, the registrant shall identify himself or herself as such an offender. The Department of Law Enforcement, in consultation with appropriate local law enforcement agencies, may develop standardized practices for the inclusion of gang affiliation at the time of offender registration.

(3) Any person who has been convicted of a crime in any federal court or in any court of a state other than Florida, or of any foreign state or country, which crime if committed in Florida would be a felony, shall forthwith within 48 hours after entering any county in this state register with the sheriff of said county in the same manner as provided for in subsection (2).

(4) This section does not apply to an offender: (a) Who has had his or her civil rights restored; (b) Who has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted; (c) Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision; (d) Who is a parolee or probationer under the supervision of the United States Parole Commission if the commission knows of and consents to the presence of the offender in Florida or is a probationer under the supervision of any federal probation officer in the state or who has been lawfully discharged from such parole or probation; etc.