Will my immigration status remain as F1 until my green card is accepted? 5 Answers as of February 15, 2011

My brother is an US citizen and I am right now at F1 status. He wants to sponsor for my green card. But I am worried about my status whether it will remain F1 until my application for a green card accepted?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
It will remain and please note that your brother filing for you will take 10 years so you need to think of other ways to stay in status after your F1 status expires.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/15/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your brother is certainly free to petition for you as his brother. But once approved by USCIS, the time for your priority date to come up current, allowing you to apply for adjustment of status (green card) will be many years (11-19). However, you are able to remain while in F-1 status, and if able to obtain an employer to sponsor you, you are subject to other potential means of obtaining long-term or permanent legal residency. If you want to know more, call or e-mail me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/15/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It will take 11 years for your petition to be approved. You need to be legally here at any time.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/14/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
F1 status is generally given for Duration of Status (D/S on I-94). The D/S referring to the time necessary to complete you degree. If your U.S. Citizen brother petitions you it will take 10 to 15 years before your would be eligible for a Green Card. It is extremely unlikely that you could remain legally in the US in F1 status for that length of time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You can only maintain F status for as long as you are a full-time student. Whether you can maintain depends on the date your brother filed the petition and how much school you have left. The wait is approximately 10 years, depending on your country of origin, so I think it unlikely that you will be able to maintain the F status. On the other hand, you may then be able to transfer to a non-immigrant working visa and maintain status in that manner. Look at the visa bulletin on the Department of State website to see how long your wait is.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 2/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: