Will my husbands personal bankruptcy affect my credit? 12 Answers as of March 25, 2011

If my husband, who is legally separated from me, has filed for bankruptcy, am I going to be impacted credit-wise?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
No. However, you will still be liable for any debts that you and your husband were jointly responsible for.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
It depends what state you are in. It also depends on whether you are liable for the debts in the bankruptcy, and if you remain current on any of those debts. In a community property state (such as California) and the debts were incurred during marriage, you may still be responsible for those debts or a portion of them, even after your husband file bk. You should review your credit report to see if the bankruptcy appears and review your liability for the debts based on when they were incurred.
There might be some joint debt. If his bankruptcy shows up on your credit report you can dispute it with the "big 3." They are transunion, equifax and experian. If the dispute process does not resolve it you can sue the credit reporting agencies.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
No, your husband's bankruptcy does not affect your redit, no matter whether you are together or separated.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You're credit will not be affected bc you are not filing. However, if you try to obtain any future loans using both your credit history, then the BK will affect you adversely in obtaining such loans.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    Your husband's bankruptcy should not affect your credit score as long as you keep up on any debt with your name on it, especially those obligations on which both your names appear.
    You could be impacted by your husband's Bankruptcy if you are both obligated for debts that he is discharging. The Creditors will be able to seek payment from you, and failure to pay will impact your credit. In light of your separation, you should have already seen some impact to your credit if he has not been paying obligations that you would be responsible for. In the event all of your debt is separate and that you have never been an authorized party on any of his credit, his Bankruptcy should not impact your credit at all.
    No, unless you are on the debts and are not going to pay them.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    You shouldn't be, unless your name is attached to the debts he is seeking to have discharged.
    Well, it certainly can, but it depends on a lot of different factors, including whether or not you live in a community property/debt state, whether you have liability otherwise for any of the debts being discharged in the bankruptcy and, of course, whether you are current with payments on any debts you have.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    Only if you were co-debtor on any of his debts. Then, he would list you on his bankruptcy papers and those debts too would be discharged.