Will my husband have to pay our divorce fees? 7 Answers as of June 08, 2011

I am a server and have very little income my husband is a corrections officer and makes much more than I do. Does he have to pay divorce fees? We're in California.

He will have to pay at least some of your attorney's fees if his income is significantly greater than yours, and if you seek attorney's fees through an Order to Show Cause and/or at time of trial. You would best consult with an experienced Family Law Attorney regarding the particulars of your matter.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You may request that your husband pay your attorney fees in a dissolution matter. Where there is a great disparity in income, a court will generally award attorney fees to the spouse that earns less.
More likely than not. Hire an attorney and file the motion for attorney fees.
Not sure what you mean specifically by "divorce fees". If you are referring to attorney's fees, then perhaps he may be ordered to contribute to your fees, as well as possibly paying support to you directly. If you cannot afford the court fees, you may be eligible to get a fee waiver. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
If in California, then per California Family Code sections 23030 and 2032, he just may be ordered to pay your fees. It depends on the disparity of income and ability to pay. I'd suggest you go online (Google) and look up these family code sections. Good luck!
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    It is very likely the court will order him to make reasonable contributions to your attorney fees if you hire an attorney, but it is difficult to know how much.
    Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller
    Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller | Jackie Robert Geller
    You can request that the court order your husband to make a contribution to your attorney fees based on his better ability to pay. Discuss this with a local family law attorney.