Will my friend go to jail for selling his guns to a pawn shop as a Colorado class B felon? 2 Answers as of January 28, 2011

My friend was convicted as a class b felon when he was 17 and tried when he was 18. Now his separated wife is saying that because he pawned his guns after the split, the guns that she bought for him, the he will go to jail? Is this true? Also can''t she get into trouble for purchasing the rifles and having them within their home if she knew he was a felon?

Anderson & Carnahan
Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
It depends on whether or not the juvenile offense is a crime of violence. He should expunge his juvenile record.
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
There is no such thing as a 'class B felony' in Colorado (they are class 1 through 6 felonies in Colorado), but assuming the charge was a felony that your friend was convicted of, he is precluded from owning or possessing a firearm in Colorado (and probably under Federal law as well). Certainly pawning the guns would imply he had possession and ownership of them, but in that situation where he was getting rid of the guns it would be hard for me to imagine that a prosecutor or judge is going to be too harsh on him, especially if a vindictive wife is the way they learn about it. They may make a plea bargain with him that is not too difficult, if he is charged at all.