Will my fiance be affected by my short sell if we were to get married before it sells? Posted on March 08, 2011

I bought a townhouse in Florida in November 2006 for $156k. In August 2008 I moved away because of the job market. In October 2008 I found renters for $300 below the mortgage and HOA. After almost two years of covering the deficit, no options to refinance, and unable to recieve government assistance I stopped paying on my mortgage and put the house on the market as a short sale in August 2010. In December 2010 we recieved our first offer of $75k, I just found out the bank countered at $92k and the buyer will not be pursuing the purchase any further. I have no savings, no assets, and very little retirement however, I am suppose to get married in three months (May 2011). My fiance has a house with equity, a car, a boat, savings, and retirement plans. IF the sell of my home isn't finalized before we get married are the banks able to go after his assets? Will his credit affected? Of course we will keep our finances separate until this is clear and I don't want this to affect him in any way. What are our options? Would a deed in lieu of foreclosure be a better option? (The townhouse is in Florida however, we are living in North Carolina.)