Will my fiance be able to petition for me to come to the United States? 4 Answers as of February 22, 2011

My fiance owes child support and they hold on to his passport, we are planning to get married soon. Will he be able to petition for me?

Assuming your fianc is a U.S. citizen he can petition for you. He will need to show that you will not be a public charge and file an Affidavit of Support at two of the three stages. If his income is less than 125% of the Poverty Guidelines (dependent children will be counted in determining public charge) then he will also need a co-sponsor such as his parents to also file an Affidavit of Support.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case or wish to retain us to assist with the processing of your case, feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Yes me may petition you even if he owes child support. The two problems may be proving he is a U.S. Citizen if he does not have a U.S. Birth Certificate of Naturalization Certificate since he cannot produce his passport. Second, if he is not paying child support he may not earn enough to show he has the ability to support you as required by the Affidavit of Support.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Yes he still can petition for even with him owing back child support.
He can but he might be denied because he lack of financial ability to guarantee the intended immigrant, in this case you, from being public charge. Of course there is other way to get over the obstacle. You should work with a lawyer.