Will my fiance's bad credit affect mine? 10 Answers as of June 15, 2012

I am getting married and my fiance has horrible credit. My credit is good. While his bad credit effect mine? Is it better to keep my own last name and not change. At this point, all of our finances are totally separate and we do not jointly own anything.

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
Typically the new spouses credit will come into play when seeking to apply for a loan at which point the one with the bad credit may not be included on the loan to get a better rate.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Your fiances bad credit should not affect yours...assuming you keep your finances reasonably separate..and keep everything in your name paid on time, etc. I know many couples who put a house in one spouse name because the other has bad credit.. that was the only way they could qualify.
Marc S. Stern
Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
Keep the finances separate and do a prenuptial agreement.
Alvin Lundgren | Alvin Lundgren
You will be ok as long as you keep your finances completely separate. Hopefully his financial failures have been cured otherwise you will be supporting both of you.
As long as you keep your accounts separate his credit rating should have a minimal effect on yours. Do not sign or guarantee any of his obligations.
    Just because you have the same name when you get married will have nothing to do with your credit. His bad credit can not effect your good credit.
    Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Charles E. Clos
    The short answer is no. Your credit score is based upon your credit history and as long as you do not include your new husband on your credit cards or finance agreements, his poor credit will not affect your credit score. While it is not necessary to maintain your maiden name to protect your credit rating, it probably would serve as an additional safeguard.
    Law Office of Stephen P. Dempsey
    Law Office of Stephen P. Dempsey | Stephen P. Dempsey
    In most cases as long as you do nothing to negatively affect your credit, it shouldn't change.
    Everyday Legal Services
    Everyday Legal Services | Michele Anderson-West
    Each person maintains a personal credit history. Unless you and your fiance purchase something jointly or if you add him to an account of yours or he adds you to an account of his, you should continue to maintain separate credit histories. If you change your last name to that of your fiance, then you may have co-mingling of information, but you can challenge that through the credit reporting agencies.
    James T. Dunn PC | James T. Dunn
    Each person has their own credit file.