Will my felony conviction show up on an airport background check? 6 Answers as of August 31, 2011

I had a felony conviction (embezzlement) in 1982 in Mich. I had the record set aside after the 5 year period. I am going for a job at an airport where they fingerprint for background. Will this show up on the background check?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
No, it shouldn't. There may be some record, somewhere, but it's doubtful that it would be available for them to see. There may be some record somewhere showing you were charged. Granted, if it's employment with a federal agency, they may be able to conduct a more thorough search than a typical employer. In theory, law enforcement or court-officers could see the conviction. However, the court-file itself, if it still exists, is probably sealed.
When you had the record expunged, you should have asked for your finger print and arrest record to be destroyed. If they are still on record it may show up.
There will always be a record of an arrest. When you had the record expunged, did the order include language about removing your finger prints?
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
Maybe, but probably that you were arrested only, with a dismissal showing after.
It depends on how good a background check they do. It shouldn't show up on your public record, but it's still possible, especially if they have access to old newspaper archives that report convictions. If in doubt, disclosure it and use your long clean track record since the offense to your advantage.
    Maybe certain law enforcement agencies can get the information even though it has been expunged but that does not mean that they will not hire you. Try to get the job. The worst they can do is say no.