Will my employer find out about my bankruptcy? 23 Answers as of June 22, 2011

I filed for chapter 13 last week and do not want to let my family, friends and especially my employer know. Is there anyway they will find out?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Your employer shouldn't find out unless you allow them to pull your credit. Your family and friends shouldn't find out unless you scheduled them as cosigners. Your BK will not be published in the newspaper or anything.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
Your employer will not be notified of your bankruptcy filing. Bankruptcy petitions are public record information so if someone did some digging the information could be located but it would be unlikely anyone would have the reason to dig around for the information.
Family, friends and employers do not usually get notified about Bankruptcy unless they conduct Credit Review's or are co-debtors on loans.
Bankruptcy is a matter of public record, so anyone can find out if they look, but your employer will not be notified in most cases. In some jurisdictions if you miss a plan payment the Trustee is authorized to do a wage garnishment, in which case your employer would obviously find out, but that really depends on the procedures in your area.
Generally, no. No one from the court system is going to tell them.
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin | Jared B. Gaynor
    No one should go and tell them, but all bankruptcy filings are public record, so there is always a chance of anyone finding out.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Bankruptcy is a public record but it is not likely that anyone will find out about it unless they are co-signers, have interests in your property and assets, or there is a wage withholding at work or something to that effect.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    Unless your friends, family and employer have access to the electronic court filing system or are hanging out at the Court Building where the 341s are being held and know where to look for the list of bankruptcies, it is highly unlikely anyone will find out. A list is not published to the public, however it is not private information.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    It is public record.
    Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy
    Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy | David Leibowitz
    Bankruptcy is a public record but your employer probably is not checking these records. The same is true for family and friends. Some small town newspapers print bankruptcy records. This can be annoying and embarrassing but there's nothing you can do about that.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    Nearly all courts require that your Chapter 13 payment be made by garnishment on your paycheck.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    When you file for bankruptcy it is public record so anybody can look it up. However it is not likely your family will go looking for your bankruptcy filing. Your employer on the hand may be contacted if you are going to be making payment plan payments out of your paycheck. Your HR department will have to enter in the wage garnishment. Check with a local bankruptcy attorney to learn about your jurisdictions local rules.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    They will only find out if they search the court docket to see if you filed.
    Your employer and others will find out about your bankruptcy in two instances, if they are listed as creditors or if you tell them.
    Anyone can find out that you filed for bankruptcy if they search for the information. It is public information but not easily found. If you don't tell probably no one will know about it.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    In our jurisdiction, a wage order to the employer is required. However, an automatic withdrawal from a bank account may be permitted under certain circumstances. You should ask your attorney what options are available in your jurisdiction.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Probably, as Ch. 13 payments ate normally made through payroll deduction. You might be able to convince the Trustee to accept automatic deductions from your bank account. t's a public document, so anyone who wants to go to the trouble of looking could find out. I've seldom, if ever, had a client tell me this happened.
    Breckenridge and Walton
    Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
    The trustee often insists that you agree to a wage assignment for your chapter 13 payment. If you have good cause to convince the trustee otherwise, you may avoid this, but it really depends on the trustee.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Only if you tell them or they are a creditor of yours.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    A bankruptcy case is the same as any other civil matter and therefore is a matter of public record. However, I generally find that the only people that find out about it are the ones you tell and anyone who runs your credit.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Generally speaking, the only people who get notice of the bankruptcy are your creditors, so unless your employer is a creditor, no they should not find out.
    If you tell them or if the Chapter 13 Trustee has to impose a wage order for the plan payments.
    First of all, your post tells me that you made the almost always disastrous mistake of filing pro se. You need to fix that mistake TODAY. Pro se Chapter 13s almost always fail and could cost you dearly in loss of assets and the inability to benefit properly from a Chapter 13. You have to get a lawyer (and pray that you did nothing yet that is irreparable). If you had retained counsel you would already know that your employer HAS to know. In almost every district, the court will not approve your plan unless you do a payroll deduction, and if you filed correctly, you needed to file your Employee Deduction Order at the time you started your 13. Most Trustees will always object to Direct Pay. Your family and friends may or may not find out. The case is a public record. So it's easy to find out if they want to.