Will my education help me to get citizenship? 9 Answers as of August 02, 2011

Is there any way if I can become a citizen/ green card if I do two years of community college and transfer to a four year university? I'm really curious because i dont wanna go to college if its gonna be useless for me. Can a teacher sponsor me?

Law Firm of Caroline Dreyfus PA
Law Firm of Caroline Dreyfus PA | Caroline D J Dreyfus
Hello. Generally, just getting a degree will not get you residency or citizenship. There may be other options available to you after you graduate and you should consult with an attorney for more information.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Hello, Generally, immigration is based on Family or Employment Relationships. You cannot get a green card based on education alone. You will need a sponsor. You may qualify for a temporary work visa (J1 or H1b) depending on your total education and experience.
What you are talking about is the famous Dream Act which has not been able to pass through the congress. Have your relatives and friends contact your senators and representatives urge them to pass the Dream Act.
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
You may qualify for a student (F-1) non-immigrant visa as a foreign national upon admission in a college in the United States.
By itself, your educational level is not related to any basis for permanent residence. No, your teacher cannot petition for you.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Going to college is never useless although it will not help you in and itself to become a permanent resident or citizen. The green card process takes someone who petitions you for a green card to get started. This is usually a qualifying family member or employer who offers you job for which he cannot find any US workers. A teacher cannot sponsor you. A college degree will increase your chances to get a green card through an employment offer. Regardless of what you do, you should always maintain your legal status in the US.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    No. Going to school will not help you get citizenship.
    Education will lead you to a green card only when you have extraordinary ability or are professors and researchers. 4 year education won't make the cut. A teach won't be able to petition for you.
    If you are in lawful F-1 student status, when you graduate with a bachelor degree, you are eligible for many of the best employment visas.