Will my domestic violence offense that happened 5 years ago affect my US citizenship? 7 Answers as of September 20, 2012

Had a domestic violence 5 years ago and did 3 months of jail and dv treatment I been a green card holder for 16 years now I want to apply for citizenship.

As with most criminal convictions, a domestic violence charge can have a significant impact on an application for naturalization. It would be important to assess the record of conviction. Assuming the conviction does not make you inadmissible or is considered an aggravated felony, you should be able to naturalize so long as it is outside the five year period. You would be best advised to speak with an experienced immigration attorney in person prior to filing for naturalization.
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Unless the charge was ultimately dismissed by virtue of a Stipulated Order for Continuance (with no stipulation to facts), your naturalization application will put you into removal proceedings. Get the conviction modified or expunged. It won't go away. You have to renew your green card sometime. Best to hire a good criminal lawyer to get the conviction fixed up as much as possible.
The short answer is possibly. However, your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
If it was not an aggravated felony it should be OK after 5 years.
It all depends on how it was classified in your State and how egregious it was. I hope the DV was not directed at a child. I think you should know that most DV offenses are considered crimes involving moral turpitude. You also want to make sure you know what else is on your record. If you have only this offense and it was classified as a misdemeanor, then you may qualify for the Petty Offense Exception.
    Law Office of Grady G Gauthier | Grady G Gauthier
    Yes, it can definitely affect your petition for US Citizenship and possibly subject you to deportation. You should contact an immigration attorney such as myself or another of you choice so all relevant facts concerning your criminal past can be evaluated and competent advice given prior to you moving forward with any application for US Citizenship.
    The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
    The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
    This is complicated and should have been considered before you pled guilty. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible, so that you avoid making other possible mistakes that may cause your deportation. Our office is within two blocks of the USCIS Office. We have limited our practice to immigration since 1993 and will be happy to carefully review this matter to provide the best legal advice. However, it will take time for you to appreciate the consequences and challenges that you may face.