Will my divorce situation jeopardize or cause any problems obtaining my US citizenship? 7 Answers as of August 29, 2013

My husband is a US citizen and I have my permanent green card recently through marriage. We are having marital problems and we both decided to get divorced soon. I'm planning to apply for a US citizenship since it's 3 years after our marriage.

Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
If you divorce him you cannot file for citizenship within 3 years. Instead, you have to wait for 5 years to be able to file for citizenship in that scenario.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You must still live in marital union at the time your citizenship application is approved if you wish to apply after 3 years of becoming a permanent resident. You will have to wait 5 years if you separate now in order to apply.
Walker & Ungo Law Firm
Walker & Ungo Law Firm | Gabriela Ungo
You should be "living in marital union" for 3 years immediately before filing the application. A divorce, legal separation or informal separation (with exceptions) may be considered as dissolution of the marital union.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
You must be married and living together to qualify for the early 3-year naturalization.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You should wait until you have had your green card for 5 years. You can only apply early if you are still married and still living together.
    Nossa Law Office
    Nossa Law Office | Pablo H Nossa
    You will have to wait five years after obtaining your green card. Even if you and your husband remained married, you would need to have 3 years of residency to file for your citizenship based on marriage to a USC.
    You will only be able to apply for citizenship after 5 years due to the divorce. You must be married and the marriage viable to take advantage of the three years.