Will my dismissed conviction still show other data on a background check? 8 Answers as of August 10, 2011

I want to expunge a DUI that I had in 2001. If I expunge, I know it will show as dismissed on my criminal courts record, but will it also continue to show other data such as Violation Date, Conviction Date etc? Will this DUI always be accessible to the public forever (unlike DMV record which is 10 years in California)?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
There is no such thing as one singular criminal record. Many companies carry a data base. The info carried varies from one to the other. Most carry date of arrest, date of charge and date of conviction ( plea of guilty or no contest )
Your criminal history maintained by the Department of Justice will is not accessible to the public except for law enforcement and some licensing agencies as well anyone to whom you give permission to look at it. Your record never will go away and the entire history of your case from arrest to expungements will be listed indefinitely.
The purpose of an expungement is to allow you to move forward in your life without being haunted by the conviction. To this end, the conviction does eventually disappear for most purposes. There will always be stringent background checks that can find that a conviction was expunged but these are usually limited to high security jobs. Obviously, the court will always know the details of the conviction.
Yes the court records are public records but most background searches are limited to convictions and it will not show up.
The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq.
The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq. | Aaron Bortel
Criminal convictions, even after being expunged will stay on your criminal record forever. There is no 10 year drop off period similar to DMV's.
    As you found, expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. Yes, your criminal record will always show what happened; that is the whole point of "records". It is permanently maintained on the federal and state DOJ databases, not just on the local court's. Unless and until you get the state and federal legislatures to change the laws, nothing can be done to actually 'clear' it. However, you should consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    Probably, yes. Although I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit for a dismissal showing up on your record. This means that you have no current conviction which means your past plea of 'guilty' will be withdrawn and your case will be dismissed. This is still very valuable for future employment opportunities.
    If the petition for expungement is granted, employers/schools will not be able to see anything. Nothing!