Will my daughter's last name matter? 6 Answers as of April 29, 2014

My child's father and I aren't married. If she is given his last name at birth, will that hinder my family's rights to her should something happen to me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Whether or not the child has the Father's last name, he still has rights if something were to happen to you. If you are in Florida, his rights will most likely supersede those of your family regardless of the child's last name.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/29/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
The name won't, but his being the father will. If you die, he is the parent. Unless your family can prove that he cannot provide a stable home environment and that it is in the best interests of the child to be with them (in a guardianship proceeding), he will have custody.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/29/2014
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
It won't necessarily hinder your rights, but it will certainly improve his rights.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 4/29/2014
D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC
D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC | Randy Phillips
Your daughter's last name will not affect anything.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/29/2014
John Russo | John Russo
What are you talking about? Your family does not have any rights to the child where did you get that from. You are the mother, and I assume the child has a father correct? Now I am sure he has all types of problems , but he still has more rights then you'r family members, just as you do when it comes to his family. And no you can't will the child to a family member, you can put any wish you choose does not mean it will happen.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    The biological parents have the greatest amount of rights to their offspring, therefore regardless of the child's name if you were to have something happen to you the first person the child would generally be placed with would be the other biological parent.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: