Will my credit rating affect my husbands if I have filed for bankruptcy? How? 6 Answers as of June 22, 2015

My husband wants to buy a house, The financier said that the new laws over in Australia say that I have to go on the application because we are married and he is getting the 1st home owners grant. But I have been bankrupt and I have been discharged for 1 yr, I served 3 years in it. I do not want to affect his credit rating, can I apply with him, will it affect him in any way if I do? Is it true about the law?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
You will have to check with someone in Australia as to what that country's laws are.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/22/2015
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should check with an Australian attorney about laws over there.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/22/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
This is not the right place to ask about bankruptcy laws in Australia.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/22/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
It is not likely that your bankruptcy in the US will appear even on your credit report in Australia. Credit can be maintained separately except as to joint credit accounts.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/19/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
An American lawyer who is not licensed to practice in Australia cannot give you a helpful answer. You should consult an Australian lawyer who works on real estate or consumer credit or bankruptcy matters.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/19/2015
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    I am only admitted to practice law in California. I have no idea what the laws are in Australia. The law is different everywhere. You will have to consult with local counsel.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: