Will my credit rating affect my husbands if I have filed for bankruptcy? How? 6 Answers as of June 22, 2015

My husband wants to buy a house, The financier said that the new laws over in Australia say that I have to go on the application because we are married and he is getting the 1st home owners grant. But I have been bankrupt and I have been discharged for 1 yr, I served 3 years in it. I do not want to affect his credit rating, can I apply with him, will it affect him in any way if I do? Is it true about the law?

Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
You will have to check with someone in Australia as to what that country's laws are.
You should check with an Australian attorney about laws over there.
This is not the right place to ask about bankruptcy laws in Australia.
It is not likely that your bankruptcy in the US will appear even on your credit report in Australia. Credit can be maintained separately except as to joint credit accounts.
An American lawyer who is not licensed to practice in Australia cannot give you a helpful answer. You should consult an Australian lawyer who works on real estate or consumer credit or bankruptcy matters.
    I am only admitted to practice law in California. I have no idea what the laws are in Australia. The law is different everywhere. You will have to consult with local counsel.