Will my credit be affected so badly that I won't be able to buy a house? 13 Answers as of August 31, 2015

Will I be able to buy a house after I file for bankruptcy?

Tokarska Law Center
Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
Happy to report several of my clients purchased a home just 36 months after filing bankruptcy.
Yes. It normally takes about 18 months after the BK to get qualified for an FHA loan, maybe less. There is life after BK! Good luck!
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
For most people who file bankruptcy there is a drop in credit score for a time, and then they are able to begin to rebuild their credit. You should be able to qualify for a mortgage loan within two or three years after receiving a chapter 7 discharge.
Michael J. Duggar, P.A.
Michael J. Duggar, P.A. | Michael J. Duggar
Depending on your employment, I usually advise my clients that it takes 2-3 years to reestablish credit after a bankruptcy, but I have had clients purchase houses within a year of their bankruptcy discharge. Best wishes!
Buying a house is entirely up to the lender. There are many factors involved. It is impossible now to answer that question.
    EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
    Yes although the mortgage companies will want 2 to 3 years to go by from the date of the filing.
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    Yes, After a few years, your credit will rise and the FHA lenders may finance you on a house. It does depend on your entire situation, too.
    If you re-establish your credit by making your payments on time after the bankruptcy; you'll be able to buy a house after two years?
    You are mortgage worthy 2 years after bankruptcy.
    How long after the bankruptcy do you plan to buy the house? It's rarely impossible to get credit after a bankruptcy, so long as you qualify otherwise (i.e. have a down payment, good earnings, etc.), but the sooner after the discharge you apply for a mortgage, the higher the interest you are likely to have to pay. People who feel they urgently need to buy real estate soon after a bankruptcy discharge often pay the high interest rate for two years or so, and then apply to refinance on better terms once they have shown a pattern of timely payments. Good Luck.
    You will not be able to walk out of bankruptcy and immediately be able to finance the purchase of a house, but with a good job and the right amount of effort, you can repair your credit and probably find a mortgage company to lend to you in as little as a year after your bankruptcy winds up.