Will my co-signers be absolved if I file for bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of February 04, 2011

My parents co-signed my credit card way back when I was 18 and opened it, and now creditors have been coming after them even though they have had nothing to do with the account for 10 years. If I file for bankruptcy, will they be absolved? Does it matter whether I file chapter 7 or chapter 13?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
No, your cosigners will not be absolved.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
No. Only you will receive a discharge of your debt obligations.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | David H. Chung
No your parents will not be absolved. They are liable to the credit card company separately from you.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
No for chapter 7, yes for chapter 13 but only if the creditors are paid in full in the plan.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Filing bankruptcy for yourself does not affect the liability of anyone else, including co-signers. If it could, there would be no reason for there to be co-signers.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Statute of limitation defenses aside, the creditor will still be able attempt their collection efforts against your parents simply because they signed a contract. Your filing bankruptcy does not free your parents of liability.
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    Your bankruptcy will not absolve your parents of the debts they co-signed for. Both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 have discharge provisions. You may want to choose Chapter 13 if you have "regular" income, you have equity in non-exempt property, and/or if your net income is greater than allowed under the "means test." It would be best to consult with an attorney as to your particular financial situation.