Will my boyfriends past crimes be held against him after being arrested for burglary? 2 Answers as of August 01, 2011

My boyfriend was arrested June 20, 2011 for simple burglary. He has been incarcerated for over a month now. He has a prior record but he did his time and it's been over ten years ago. People said that in the state of Louisiana your past is held against you, I would like to get advice from someone who knows instead of someone off the street.

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
This will depend upon what specifically is on his criminal record. As a somewhat general rule, past crimes from over 10 years ago should not have criminal bearing on his new charges. They may still appear on his record but are unlikely to be able to be used against him to enhance his current charges or sentencing. This may depend upon the area in which he was previously charged and/or convicted though and he should hire an attorney who will be able to look at his record and make a determination of his defense options based on the specific details of his case. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, I invite you to contact my firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
Smith & John
Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
Yes, it can increase his sentence if he is charged as a multiple felony offender.