Will my boyfriends criminal record affect my paperwork? 7 Answers as of August 17, 2011

I have a boyfriend and he was born and raised in us but he has some felony for drugs and he has child support for his two children. He wants to help me to get my documents in order but I don't know if his past history can cause more trouble to me than help. What should i do? He is not working at the moment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If he is not convicted of an offense involved a minor, he can petition you after you get married.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/17/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
His criminal record generally will not affect his petition for you. He will need to show he has enough income to petition for you or will need a joint sponsor. Are you currently in status?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
If you get married in a bona fide real marriage, his past should be OK. Although, the USCIS will likely require proof that he is making support payments.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC | Scott D. Mills
To sponsor you - he needs to marry you. Additionally, you we will need to have someone with sufficient income sponsor your petition.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/4/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Unless he has convictions for sexual offenses related to children, he should not have any issues in petitioning you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: