Will my boyfriend be released after I pay bail even if there is an immigration detainer? 5 Answers as of February 14, 2011

He has a bail of $500. I was going to pay when they told me he has an immigration detainer. What is likely to happened if I pay or don't?

No he cannot be released. You are wasting your money to pay a bond.
You are dealing with two government agencies. One is police and another one is immigration. Yes, you will probably have to pay twice if they let you.

If you want to hire an immigration attorney to represent you, please contact us. Good luck!
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
No. In fact you will lose your bond money as he will not be able to show up to his hearings because he will be in theICE Detention. My advice would be to hold on to your money and see an immigration attorney as soon as possible.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You have 2 bond to post, one for the state court ($500) and the other one for immigration, which will be set when he is transferred to Immigration Custom and Enforcement's Custody.
If he has an immigration detainer on him, even if his criminal court bail is paid he will not be released until ICE (the immigration agency that handles detainers) is allowed to take him into custody.