Will my boyfriend be deported for getting a DUI in Georgia? 3 Answers as of January 19, 2011

My boyfriend is in jail for DUI and no license. They say he has a hold for ice but not an order to be deported. I am in Georgia. He is illegal and he has been in jail for 10 days. Will he automatically be deported or is there still hope that he can stay in the USA?

Harrison & Harrison
Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
Your boyfriendis at great risk of being deported; not because of the DUI, but because of his status as an illegal immigrant. This is especially true if he was arrested in one of the Georgia counties that participate in the287(g) program. Section 287(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Actallows ICE to provide state and local law enforcement with training and authority to identify and detain immigration offenders they encounter during their law enforcement activities.When he was arrested for the DUI,the hold was put on him so that ICE could have the opportunity to deport him after his DUI case has been dealt with. He REALLY needs a DUI lawyer and an immigration lawyer or one that has a good working knowledge of both areas of practice.
While we do not handle immigration matters at The Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, I would encourage you to retain such a lawyer in your community, because it appears he may face possible deporting no matter what happens otherwise. Good luck!
You should always remain hopeful that he may not be deported, but my experience is if ICE dropped the hold, he will be deported.