Will my bonus be taken? How? 12 Answers as of May 25, 2015

I was just informed by my employer that I will be receiving a bonus after my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case is discharged. I did not include this bonus on the bankruptcy because I had no idea about it. Is the court going to take the bonus after my case is discharged?

They will not know about it. It is your responsibility to notify the trustee if you felt inclined to do so.
Novakov & Associates, PLLC
Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
No - they won't take your post petition bonus.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
If the bonus is something that was owed you before you filed bankruptcy then the amount which was owed on the date you filed could be taken by the trustee. If you filed bankruptcy on September 1st and the company gives a bonus based on your performance from January to December - 8/12ths of the bonus would be subject to being taken. You should talk to your attorney about whether you need to amend your schedules to reflect this bonus.
Probably not so long as your right to the bonus arose after the date of filing the bankruptcy petition. Check with your bankruptcy lawyer to be sure. Good Luck.
Why would you have included money you didn't know you were going to receive in your bankruptcy. Since your bonus is money that you earned for a good performance, and since you earned it after you filed bankruptcy, this money is yours. Good luck and stop worrying. Enjoy your fresh start.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    It comes down to whether you were entitled to it before your bankruptcy case was filed or after. You'll need to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer and provide them with all of the documents concerning the bonus. They may also need to speak with your employer.