Will my 401k be attached to my car accident? 5 Answers as of February 20, 2012

Can you have your 401k plan attached for a car accident for which they have a judgment to collect from you, finding you at fault in Florida or is one of those things that cannot be attached (lein)?

Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
You need to speak to a financial planner and bankruptcy attorney
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
no
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
This is more a question for a bankruptcy or collections lawyer, but I know that 401Ks can be protected from judgments in some circumstances. If you are worried about a judgment against you that you do not have the funds to satisfy outside of your 401K, it would be a good idea to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer anyway. He or she can help you understand your specific options to protect yourself. Good luck.
I don't handle creditor/debtor law, but it's my understanding that a judgment creditor cannot levy on or attach a retirement account. Don't take my word for it, though; I would pay $100 or so to get correct advice from an attorney who does handle creditor/debtor law.