Will a misdemeanor appear on my records/background check for shoplifting if i am under age? 9 Answers as of July 03, 2013

About 6 or 7 months ago, I was convicted for shoplifiting at Walmart,in CA. They said it'd be a misdemeanor since the item cost no more than 5 dollars. I was 14 and I'm now almost 14. I was not arrested, or sent to juvy. This was my first (and last) offense. I'm not even sure i even got a fine, but i probably did. Well let's say I want to get a job when i'm 16? will they be allowed to see this? who is allowed to see my background check; am i? will colleges be able to see this? Also, i was planning on volunteering at my local library, it asks if ive ever been CONVICTED of a crime? Would I even mention this? Would they be allowed to see my background/criminal history? THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!

To Whom It May Concern: Juvenile records are supposed to be confidential. Notice how I used the word "supposed". The District Attorney can always see juvenile adjudications. They are not supposed to be released to non-law enforcement parties (e.g., on a background check by an employer). Regardless, you were no convicted, since juvenile law hearings can only result in an 'adjudication', rather than a conviction. They should not be able to see and should not know about the incident. You should never mention it. Also, once you turn eighteen, apply to have your juvenile record sealed.
A juvenile adjudication is not a conviction and will not show up in your criminal history and rap sheet. Further juvenile records are not open to the public. Finally since a juvenile case is not a conviction you do not have to answer yes to the question if you were convicted of a crime.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
A juvenile disposition is not a conviction, so you can answer truthfully that you have never been convicted. Normal employers, etc., would not have access to such. Some government employers [law enforcement, intelligence] would, but it is still not a conviction. If any non-government employer asked about a juvenile disposition, I would answer "na." If government [job, grants, military] specifically asked about juvenile dispositions, you should respond with the substance.
At 18 a juvi record goes away automatically. If you need it removed sooner see the lawyer whorepresented you and if you didn't have a lawyer go to the juvi court public defender.
First, are you sure you were convicted of a misdemeanor? Did you go to Court and get convicted and sentenced? It doesn't sound like that happened, in which case, there would be no conviction. You say you were not sure if you got a fine? If you did, you need to find out and pay it to avoid future consequences. Were you placed on probation? Or was there an informal diversion, or formal diversion?
    As a juvenile you have not been convicted of a crime. You had a juvenile petition sustained in juvenile court. This is not open to the general public and after you turn 18 it takes a court order for the government to open it. If asked if you have been charged with a crime or have ever been convicted of a crime you can answer NO.
    Yes, all convictions will appear on your record, so will all arrests. Records are forever. Records will be searched and reviewed by employers, schools, lenders, etc. So, yes, convictions will affect your future, adversely. If convicted, you will be obligated to disclose the conviction on various applications. It would be perjury to not. However, you said you were convicted, yet you also said you were not arrested, or sent to juvy. Those two statements cant both be true. If you werent arrested and didnt go to court, or if your attorney didnt go for you, then you couldnt be convicted. IF not convicted, no record. IF what happened is that the store security detained you, demanded you pay damages, and then did not file criminal charges, then you have no criminal record. You need to determine what actually happened. If you had been convicted in juvenile court, you may be able to get your record sealed after you turn 18. If you had been convicted in adult court, you would be able to consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many convictions can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction.
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    It does not sound like this went on your record at all. It sounds like your were on some sort of probation without a conviction. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are you should go to the juvenile court and find out.
    No, they will not be able to see it. Juvy records are sealed.