Will a misdemeanor affect my ability to get my student visa? 9 Answers as of March 23, 2015

I am a student in Indiana about to apply for a student visa to study in both Mexico and Chile. I was recently charged of a misdemeanor for driving a minor in possession of alcohol and have not received my court summons yet.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
Since you have not been convicted of any crime, at this point it should have no effect. However, if convicted it may have some effect.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/23/2015
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
It is likely that consul will want to see a disposition first, before granting a visa.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/20/2015
The Law Offices of Michael A. Dye, PA
The Law Offices of Michael A. Dye, PA | Michael Dye
Contact the Mexican consulate closest to where you live.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/19/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/19/2015
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
It might. You must hire a lawyer immediately. Take this seriously.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/19/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    It may and,unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it since it has not gone through the court system. Check with the countries you are planning to visit to see what, if any, restriction they may have.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/19/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney with the details, criminal convictions most certainly can have an effect on visas, jobs, licenses and your future in general.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/19/2015
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
    The answer will depend on how those foreign governments interpret the charge but probably will not be a big deal. You can look online at the requirements for student visas for the countries that you will attend to learn more.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/19/2015
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    No big deal.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 3/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: