Will a minor infraction affect my immigration status? 6 Answers as of February 14, 2011

Can infraction like pedestrian or jaywalking affect my immigration status? Currently, I do not have status. I am worried about receiving tickets from a police officer, since I don't have status.

JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Receiving tickets for jaywalking and other infractions is okay as long as you pay the ticket and the ticket did not turn into a warrant for your arrest. If you are arrested for failure to pay the infraction or traffic ticket, the police may submit your information to Immigration Custom and Enforcement (ICE) to see if you have legal status. If the check comes back negative that you don't have status, you can be transferred to ICE custody for deportation. However, just getting a ticket when there was no arrest or charges against you then your illegal status will usually go undetected.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
It could be a problem if the officer requests an ID and you are not able to provide one. If the officer finds out that you are here illegally he can refer you to immigration.
Felonies, crimes involving drugs, and moral turpitude crimes are deportable but not minor traffic crimes.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
It depends on the state where you live.Some states are requiring police officers to ask about status for minor infractions.
A minor infraction is not something which normally impacts a person's ability to obtain or retain a green card. However if police pull you into custody and an ICE agent is called or "arrives" at the station, they can attempt to put you on an immigration hold, which will result in immigration proceedings.
    If you don't have status, you may be spotted on the police's database of arrests. You need find a lawyer in case you will be put in deportation. There might be something done to save you. You need work with a lawyer!