Will medicaid affect my immigration status? 5 Answers as of December 31, 2010

I want to apply for my green card my husband is a citizen but we are on medicaid, will this affect my immigration app?

The problem is that Medicaid obtained through fraud in the case of an undocumented alien is a crime, and it could implicate your husband as well. If you are not an undocumented, then you still have the problem of proving that your husband is stable enough to prevent you from becoming a public charge, receiving public assistance of any kind, including Medicaid services to the poor. Your husband, to succeed in obtaining your green card with you, will likely have to obtain a financial co-sponsor to enable him to qualify you successfully for adjustment of status. If you want to discuss this matter further, feel free to contact me to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Part of immigration status is the petitioner having financial ability to prevent you from being public chargei.e, obtaining governmentbenefit. Please contact us for strategy to prove your capability.
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson | Daniel R. Richardson
Yes, prior use of government assistance can impact your application. You should consult an attorney before filing an application for adjustment of status.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it should not affect your application.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C. | John Messing
When you say "we are on medicaid", this is confusing. If your husband is on medicaid, then you will need to find a joint sponsor most likely and that might be enough for you to qualify. If you personally are on medicaid, then you may have other problems about receiving benefits improperly, which could affect immigration, but I cannot tell precisely how on the limited information given. Without a retainer agreement, there is no attorney-client relationship, no confidentiality of communications, and I cannot be responsible for your case. No electronic signature is intended.