Will a marriage to an illegal affect my residency and immigration process? 5 Answers as of February 03, 2011

I have my residency papers in progress, and I want to get married to an illegal resident. Will I be affected by doing so? What if I do confidential marriage? Please help me.

No, marriage to an illegal will not jeopardize your pending process UNLESS the category you are in requires you to be unmarried. Under some categories your spouse can benefit as well.
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
Answer: It would be best to wait until you have obtained permanent resident status before marrying an individual without legal status. (You could apply for a K visa).
The last thing you want to know is to lie. You application may raise a flag to trigger deportation for your spouse. Good luck!
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I don't know what a confidential marriage is, but I think it is unlikely that your marriage will affect your residence application UNLESS it is based on your status as the unmarried child of a US citizen or something along those lines. Otherwise, there is no bar to marrying illegal individuals. You must, of course, disclose your marriage to USCIS when asked because otherwise you would be lying and that is never good with USCIS.
Merely marrying an illegal alien should not affect you pending Green Card application. However, marriage to anyone, legal or illegal, would affect if your pending application is based on being unmarried. If you are being petition as the unmarried son/daughter of Green Card holder and you get married your case is canceled. If the petitioner is a US Citizen, the case is not canceled

by you move to a different category whose priority date may not be current. Whether the marriage is confidential or not does not matter, what matters is whether you are legally married.