Will it take me a long time to divorce my husband? 9 Answers as of August 07, 2015

How long will it take me to divorce my husband? How much will it cost me?

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Time and money are very important; but without more information, especially about what is involved, the ease or difficulty of serving him or getting his cooperation are substantial variables. Are there children involved? If not, it becomes simpler unless the issues involving them have already been resolved in Family Court. Are there any significant assets, if so, they also have to be dealt with, which may make it take longer and increase the cost. It can take a few months from the time the papers are submitted to the Court for signature until the decree is signed. Costs can start at less than a thousand plus Court fees to much higher based upon the variables mentioned.
Without a great deal more information it is impossible to estimate of the time it will take, or the cost, of a divorce. Generally divorces are completed within one year but there are exceptions. It will take at least 60 days, and perhaps 180 days depending on whether there are minor
This is a bit like asking 'how long is a book?' The answer is: it all depends. It depends on which county or which state you live in; what problems are likely to arise in the case (such as custody disputes, disagreements about division of property, etc.). Also how constructive are both of you likely to be? (It's almost always better to reach agreements than fight.) In Wisconsin, there is a mandatory 120-day period before a divorce can be scheduled for final hearing, and it often takes 6 to 8 months from the commencement of the case to the hearing, sometimes longer Advance payments requested by lawyers can vary a great deal: in this county, a novice lawyer faced with a fairly simple divorce might charge as little as $1000. An experienced lawyer might charge anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000. (Experienced is better, and usually worth the investment.)
Home Town Law, P.A.
Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
It depends on the circumstances of your particular case (including but not limited to whether children are involved, if alimony is at issue, etc.) and whether the case can be settled or will have to be litigated.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
The length of time it takes to procure a divorce will depend on the complexity of the case and the willingness of the parties to resolve the issues that might be involved such as property division, spousal and child support, custody and visitation rights and, of course, dissolution of the marriage. The cost will depend on the attorneys involved, how much they charge for their services and how much time they have to invest in the case.
    Specific details concerning your particular family law case is required to intelligently answer this question.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    It will take at least 180 days from the day he is served with the papers. Cost will depend on how much the two of you fight
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    How long would it take and how much will it cost are recurring legal questions which cannot be answered without knowing the circumstances of the particular legal problem.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    That depends on three main factors: 1) What county do you live in? 2) Are there children under the age of 21? 3) Are there issues that you can not decide outside of court?