Will it help to get a medical recommendation after being caught in possession of marijuana? 8 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I got pulled over last week for running a stop sign and got searched and I had 2 grams of marijuana on me with no medical card and I am 20 years old. Can I get a medical recommendation and show it in court and have that charge dropped. It was also my first time getting a ticket that night.

Possession of less than an ounce of Marijuana is now a infraction in California. It cannot hurt to have a medical prescription at your hearing.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
Yes, it will help to get a medical recommendation after being caught in possession of marijuana. If you enter a plea to possession, you will loose your right to drive in California for one (1) year.
This might seem like something you can handle, but there are different ways to work out a dismissal. Our office routinely handles cases when someone under 21 is caught with alcohol or marijuana. We are hired to save your record and your driver's license.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
It depends on the county. However, it is worth a shot. I have seen cases dropped after the defendant got his medical marijuana card before. Thus, it is not out of the question.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
There are two concerns in your case. First, the possibility of a criminal record. That can be avoided in most cases by participating in a diversion program through the court. The second is a possible drivers license suspension. That can usually be avoided by a plea bargain. A doctors note may help but it does not solve the problem by itself. Our office handles many of these cases.
No. The DA will just laugh at the attempt to bootstrap after the fact. The charges could have prevented had you obtained a card earlier, but they wont automatically go away now by getting the card.

Your attorney still may be able to negotiate a reasonable deal for you with classes, diversion, plea bargain, reduced penalties, etc., with a clean record and rap sheet. If serious about hiring counsel to do so, feel free to contact me.
    No. After acquired recommendations are worthless if you have had your condition from before you got busted it would help them.
    Desert Defenders
    Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
    It may not get it "dropped", but it may help to get a better disposition than you might get without it.