Will it be expensive to get a divorce and how much time will it take me? 12 Answers as of August 24, 2015

I want to get a divorce from my spouse. Is it costly to divorce my husband?

Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Attorney fees vary. You should consult with a family law attorney in your area.The costs depend on the complexity of the case. Length of marriage, children, assets, obligations are all factors in the costs and the length of the case.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
All divorces in California take 180 days from the date the other side was served with papers. Cost depends on how much fighting between the parties. Most family law attorneys charge between $250 and $400 per hour and require a retainer of about $3000.
Your question is a bit like asking 'how long is a book?' The answer is, it depends on many things. You could try to do it yourself, but if there are important interests involved, such as child custody and placement, or substantial property, having the advice and representation of an experienced family law attrney is almost always worth the investment. In this area (Dane County Wisconsin), divorce lawyers ask for an advance payment of anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000. If your case is to be filed in the same county (hence no travel), and if the issues are straightforward, and especially if your spouse takes a constructive attitude, the cost can be more towards the lower end. There is also a court filing fee and the cost of service of process. Together, in Wisconsin, these would run about $250.00 From filing the initial petition to final hearing is at least 4 months, and more typically 6 - 8 months.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Without much more information, that question cannot be answered. Traditionally, you sit down with an attorney to provide all the information concerning your marriage; the attorney would then advise you of your rights and obligations, the best way to proceed, and how much it would cost to get started. That meeting is called a consultation and most attorneys charge a good faith consultation fee. My office charges $100; if I am retained at the time of the consultation, the consultation fee is included in the retainer.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
The cost of a divorce typically depends on how many disputed issues there are and what those issues might be. If there are strong disputes on custody or alimony, then those can take longer and cost more. If it's just division of debts and assets that are in dispute, that usually wouldn't cost quite as much. If you are in agreement on all issues, thereby making it an uncontested divorce, then that is the quickest and cheapest route. You need to talk to an attorney in order to best determine an answer to your question.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    A Lawyer is the way to go to make sure your rights are protected and worth the expense . Again a Lawyer will be able to complete it much faster.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Have you considered Mediation? Mediation is Fast, Effective and Affordable, and because MEDIATION IS REQUIRED FOR EVERY DIVORCE CASE IN FLORIDA, it may be a good option for you to consider at this time. Mediation can help you resolve your issues without the necessity of paying high fees for an attorney.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    The cost for any legal service depends upon many factors. While some divorces can be what might be considered inexpensive, most would not be considered inexpensive. The length of time for a divorce in Connecticut depends upon the circumstances, but most divorces even if simple, which many are not, will probably take at least 120 days.
    The costs of divorce are up to the parties for the most part, the more you fight the more it costs. I have had fees range from $2500 to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    THAT ALL DEPENDS ON IF THERE ARE MINOR CHILDREN INVOLVED, HOW COMPLICATED THE CASE IS AND HOW HOTLY CONTESTED IT MAY BE.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Cost depends upon how much feuding and fighting goes on, time depends on the Judges schedule.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    That depends entirely upon where you live and what the issues are. Do you have children under 21? Pensions to divide? Properties? Have you reached agreement on any or all of these issues? Without answers to questions like that it's very hard to estimate the cost of a divorce.