Will it affect the outcome of my case if I were to rat out my wife and her boss for having an affair to their superiors? 3 Answers as of February 06, 2013

They have denied it, but I have love letters, His ID badges she carried with her and hotel confirmation sheets to prove it. She filed for divorce and now my lawyer is telling me it could hurt my case if I were to help get her fired. Is it true? How can she have an affair and it has no bearing on my case, but I could get her fired and it could affect my outcome?

The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
The reason why it may only hurt your case, is that if your wife were to lose her job before the divorce is final, you could be liable for alimony due to her decreased income. You have to understand that the fact that your wife was involved in an affair does not necessarily impact any sort of ancillary matters such as dividing the assets between the parties. The grounds for your divorce have very little bearing on how the financial matters of your case is handled by the Judge.
Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
New York is a no fault State, so you wife having an affair plays no part in the economics, nor in the divorce basis itself. While no one can stop you from "ratting" out your wife and her boss, there will likely end up being other financial consequences. Her loss of income "can" effect child support, the pro-rata contributions towards child support extras, and it "could" affect a maintenance claim. Think you need to listen to your lawyer.