Will it affect my custody case if I have a girlfriend? 9 Answers as of January 15, 2014

My wife filed for a divorce from me approximately 3 1/2 - 4 months ago. We've been separated for that same period of time and I've been living with family. We share a toddler together and custody has yet to be determined by the court system. Will it negatively impact me if I have a girlfriend? I didn't meet this person until approximately 2 - 2 1/2 months after my wife filed for divorce and we became separated.

Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
The fact that you have a girlfriend shouldn't matter. What will matter is how and if you expose your child to this new person.
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
It is generally advisable not to introduce your child to your new partner until both the divorce is finalized and you are absolutely certain this will be a long time relationship. However, so long as the new partner is not on the child abuse registry, or a criminal, that fact by itself should have no bearing on the divorce or custody in most cases. If custody is at issue, you MUST visit with an attorney to ensure you know your rights and responsibilities. Custody is very fact specific and dependent on the judge assigned, and an experienced attorney can help you know what to expect and strategize. Best wishes!
You have a right to move on and become involved in a new relationship. This situation should have no bearing on the development of a parenting plan.
It shouldn't unless she is a psycho, does drugs or has a history of domestic violence.
Robert J. Sayfie, P.C.
Robert J. Sayfie, P.C. | Robert J. Sayfie
Probably not, unless she has been convicted of a criminal sexual conduct charge.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    It should have no effect on custody or support considerations.
    Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
    No. It shouldn't affect custody if you have a girlfriend. MN is a no fault state for divorce. It can affect a custody case when the girlfriend is abusive to the child our puts the child at risk.
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    It should not affect your case. I would not live with your girlfriend until your children are very familiar with her. The courts do not like when new adults are thrust into the children's lives. Therefore, unless your girlfriend has a horrible drug or criminal history, she should not affect your case for custody of your children.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    It shouldn't matter if you have a girlfriend. Discuss with your attorney as to whether there will be negative reaction on custody if you are LIVING with a girlfriend.