Will I still have to pay lifetime alimony to ex-wife for 26 years? 4 Answers as of December 07, 2016

I am retiring in 2 years.

Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
It depends on her need and your ability to pay.
Ronald L. Bornstein, P.A. | Ronald L. Bornstein
Generally, you may be able to file a modification petition seeking to reduce or possibly terminate your alimony obligation based upon your retirement. Several things will impact your ability to do so, however, including but not limited to the language of your settlement agreement (if any) and final judgment; your age and health, and that of your ex-spouse; the typical retirement age in your job or career field; and other factors. Consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and your options.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Your question cannot be answered on just the one fact given, that you have been married for 26 years. Alimony is based upon many more factors than that. You should have a full discussion with a local family attorney, and many offer free initial consultations. Alimony is based upon need and the ability to pay, as well as the duration of the marriage and the standard of living enjoyed during the marriage. Yours is a marriage of long duration, but in order to assist you an attorney will have to know much more.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Judge makes that decision. If there is a disparity in incomes some alimony may be awarded, duration is up to the Judge.