Will I receive $30,000.00 under bodily injuries covered by the insurance? 26 Answers as of April 26, 2013

A car running on a 70mph slammed into my car that was parked on the road. I have 3 broken ribs, a lacerated liver and road rash.

Who knows? Your case is worth whatever you can convince a jury to give you.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Only if you can prove the driver was negligent, that your injuries merit that amount, and that the at-fault driver or yourself had insurance in that amount or higher.
Robert Butwinick | Robert Butwinick
Its possible you could be offered less, however its also possible the damages exceed $30,000. You will want to be sure you are aware of all policies that may afford coverage, including underinsured motorist coverage. You must also be sure you follow the procedural notice requirements if you do make an underinsured claim. I would recommend that you consult with an experienced injury lawyer to ensure that you pursue the maximum possible and follow the proper steps in the process.
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
You need to retain an attorney. The insurance company will not be fair with you if you do not have an attorney.
Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc.
Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. | Frank M. Nunes
The amount of money you will receive to compensate you for the harms and losses is personal to each person's case. Your injuries sound very serious. Broken ribs hurt with every breath you take and they have to heal on their own.
    All that means is that their insurance will cover up to 30k in medicals, so the only entity getting that is the hospital, doctors, etc for medicals bills.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    As there is no set amount for what a personal injury claim is worth, you could receive more, less, the stated amount or nothing. There are many factors that go into determining the value of a settlement or jury verdict. In order to make a recovery for personal injuries in Michigan you must prove negligence, a serious impairment of a body function and/or permanent serious disfigurement as well as proximate cause. The minimum liability limit in Michigan is $20,000, not $30k. Usually limits above $20k are $25k, $50k, $100k, etc. and I have never seen a $30k limit. So although I can't say I've seen everything, if you are paid the limit of coverage, it is more likely that it would be one of the #'s I indicated vs. being $30k.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    The amount of compensation one receives for pain and suffering in a personal injury case varies, depending on a number of factors such as the amount of medical bills, loss of income, scarring and disfigurement, the existence of any fault on the part of the plaintiff (or defendant, if he denies liability), the tendency of juries to be more liberal or conservative in a given county or federal district, the amount of insurance coverage and other "reachable" assets the defendant has and whether the plaintiff has elected the "Full Tort " option for his own insurance coverage. For example, you could live in county where the juries there think your injuries would be worth a couple thousand dollars or in a county where they feel that $30,000 would be insufficient. You could have a defendant driver who has $30,000.00 of coverage or one who carries about $15,000.00 and no assets to seize like a bank account or a home. If a jury were to award you $70,000.00 you would probably collect the limits of the policy from the carrier, but no more. You would have to certify the judgment to the Department of Motor Vehicles so the department could suspend the defendant's license to drive until the judgment is paid in full (which might take a long time). If you do not have "Full Tort " coverage on your insurance then the defendant's carrier might try to limit any suit you file to property damages (unlikely here, given the injuries). you should consult an attorney in your area who does this type of work on a contingency fee basis. Alternatively, you could try to locate the legal journal for your county to see if it periodically posts verdicts and their amounts. Often the cases give a summary of the facts, so you would be able to have an idea what juries in your area are awarding for the type of accident you described.
    William D. Cope, LLP
    William D. Cope, LLP | William D. Cope
    I would think without having the opportunity to review the accident report and the evidence that you should be able to recover such amount and potentially more.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    It depends on your medical bills, treatments, disability (if any), prior injuries, lost work, etc. Generally, you could get 2-3 times the total of your medical bills.
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Not enough information. Recovery depends upon a number of factors. $30,000 may be low.
    LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
    You still have to present doctor reports and medical bills to receive a settlement.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    From the little information you have provided, and assuming clear liability, then a $30,000.00 liability policy will in all likelihood be exhausted by your claimed injuries.
    Law Office of Alexis Plunkett
    Law Office of Alexis Plunkett | Alexis Plunkett
    It sounds like you were not at fault for this accident (unless you were parked or stopped illegally). Your compensation will depend on the extent of your injuries and the totality of your medical bills. Based on the described injuries, $30,000 seems possible and maybe even low (but that of course depends on the extent of insurance available).
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC | Paul A. Lauto
    The information provided is insufficient to give you a proper evaluation as to what your case is worth. In order to properly answer your question, a personal injury attorney would at least have to do a complete accident intake with you.
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
    Unfortunately, I am unable to advise you as to the value of your case. Each case and set of facts and circumstances is different. These differing facts and circumstances will often help dictate the value of one's case.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Your case could be worth substatially more.
    Your injuries, the cost of medical care, any permanency, any future medicals, property damage and wage or income loss all figure into your case.
    You don't give enough detail for this to be answered. For instance, where were you parked? If in the middle of the road, you may be guilty of contributory negligence and unable to recover anything. Answering what your case is worth would be impossible without knowing all the facts and even then, there is nothing written in granite in the law about that. You probably should consult an experienced accident lawyer.
    Gary L. Platt, Attorney at Law | Gary Platt
    The answer to this question is "it's not that simple." First, if you have not already hired an attorney, you need to do so as soon as possible. While it's true that the other driver's insurance coverage might limit what the INSURANCE COMPANY will pay for this accident to $30,000 in bodily injury (you didn't say whether the policy was $15,000/$30,000, which would mean $15,000 PER PERSON maximum, or $30k/$60k, which would limit your recovery to $30k), HOWEVER, if the other driver has assets (such as real property), you are not forced to accept only what the insurance company offers you, up to the limits of their coverage. That is why you need an attorney. Your lawyer can file a lawsuit against the driver and make it clear that your damages far exceed the insurer's policy limits. Your lawyer should investigate to determine whether the other driver has substantial assets from which you could recover damages in excess of the insurance company's policy limits, or whether the driver has no substantial assets from which you might recover additional damages. Either way, it makes no senseand there is certainly no legal requirementfor you to accept ONLY what the insurer will pay.
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    You should get more than 30K net, depending on how much liability and or underinsured motorist coverage is available.
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    It seems like you should receive more than that but it depends on the various insurance policies involved. I urge you to contact a qualified personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
    John T. Belton, Attorney at Law | John T. Belton
    Your recovery in a personal injury case is based on the extent of your damages sustained as a result of the accident.Damages include, but are not limited to your bodily injury expenses, extent of injury, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc. Thus, $30,000 could be reasonable, could be low or could be high. I would recommend you talk to an attorney before you sign any documents with the insurance co. in order to be completely appraised of your rights and what you may be entitled to.
    David P. Slater, esq.
    David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
    You case may be worth alot more.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Maybe. Not enough data.
    Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
    This is a serious set of injuries. You should hire an attorney to get your maximum recovery. You may have coverage under both the adverse driver's insurance and your own. You may have some comparative fault. You are really exposed if you try to handle this on your own.