Will I qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy? How? 19 Answers as of August 27, 2015

I have over $23,000 in debt and credit cards. I have no car payment and do not own a home. I make $2,200 per month. Will I qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Probably. But the only way to find out is to have a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney in your State.
Novakov & Associates, PLLC
Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
In order to qualify to file for Chapter 7, you must pass the means test. You have to be able to show that you fall at or below the median income level for individuals or families, if you have dependents in the area in which you live. You should contact a bankruptcy practitioner in the area in which you live to determine if you meet the qualifying criteria.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
That would be a yes.
I would need to know how much money is left in your pocket after paying for just your necessary living expenses. Assuming that you have less than $100 left in the budget, it is likely you would be eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. But bankruptcy is not a one size fits all proposition. Many other issues factor into deciding whether bankruptcy is or is not a good idea.
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
Yes it seems like you do qualify. And can get rid of all that debt but you need to check as some debts are not discharge able
    Sounds like your income is low enough but your attorney can review to insure you qualify. It doesn't matter how much debt you have but that your income is low enough
    It sounds like it to me. Go on line and look up your state "median income".
    Yes, you qualify for a Chapter 7 because your income is under the limit.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Your income is sufficiently low to qualify for chapter 7, but your expenses also have to be evaluated to show that you have nothing "extra" left over after your basic living expenses. For example, if you were living in your parent's basement and not paying rent, you might be seen as having sufficient resources to pay some of your debt. Why not schedule a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to make sure chapter 7 is best for you?
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A. | Robert S. Cohen
    Based on the information you provided, it appears that you do qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    It all depends on where you live, etc. but on the surface, at least, it appears you would be eligible for Chapter 7, presuming your debts are primarily consumer (i.e., not business) debts. Keep in mind, however, that filing bankruptcy to discharge $23,000, while a lot of money to you now, is a fairly drastic step. You might want to contact your creditors and try to work out a repayment plan or agree to pay 50% of the debts, before you file a bankruptcy case. A bankruptcy stays on your credit report for ten years and more and more employers and insurance companies are considering a bankruptcy on your record as a negative item. You might find it harder to get a better job, or obtain insurance because of the filing. Before you do anything, you should discuss all of your options with a qualified bankruptcy lawyer.
    Wink & Wink
    Wink & Wink | Gigi Wink
    Yes, based on those facts you can easily qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and you can discharge your credit card debt.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    Make an appointment to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer and all shall be revealed.