Will I owe the IRS taxes on a short sale? 4 Answers as of April 21, 2011

I was denied a modification by my lender. I was preferred to do a short sale. If I sell the house on a short sale, will I owe the IRS taxes on the sale? If yes, can it be reduced or forgiven?

California's Largest Family of Attorneys
California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
Yes. Yes, it can be reduced and/or forgiven. Please contact a tax or bankruptcy attorney.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Maybe, so you need to speak with your tax return preparer after the sale.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
It is possible that you will owe taxes on the property if you had a second mortgage or used the property as an investment property/rental. If these situations do not apply it is likely that the debt will be forgiven.
You will be at risk for having to pay taxes on 'forgiveness of debt' income. This is a really nasty situation where you owe taxes on money that you did not and can not pay. You should talk with a tax attorney or an accountant. I am not a tax attorney, I handle other areas of law. However, if you contact me, I will put you in touch with two very fine accountants who are friends of mine.