Will I need to provide my creditors with updates about my bankruptcy process? How? 13 Answers as of August 31, 2015

Once I am working with a legal team to begin filing for bankruptcy, do I need to call my creditors and tell them where I am in the process and how things are coming along?

No, that is not required and doing that will not get them off your back.
No, the federal courts will notify your creditors after you file. Before you file you can let them know you are filing and to stop calling you. Generally they will comply.
The creditors automatically receive notice when you file the bankruptcy. Your attorney will give them notice of any developments that require notice (these are fairly rare but can occur). Otherwise, the creditors are responsible to check the court's records if they want to follow your case.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
No. There is no reason to discuss this with your creditors. In fact there are reasons not to. You should discuss all issues and questions with your attorney. Once you have filed the court will notify your creditors.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
If you are working with a lawyer you should be addressing all your questions to him or her. If you are working with a bankruptcy petition preparer, then you should be sure you understand what their function is and that it is your own responsibility to understand the law and the pleadings and to make sure everything is being done correctly.
    That would be a no.
    Either you are working with a lawyer who can give you legal advice, or you are working with a non lawyer who cannot give you legal advice. Do you know what this so-called legal team is? People who are not lawyers are not qualified to provide you with legal advice, and if you hired a lawyer, your lawyer ought to be giving you the legal advice you need.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    That would be a no.
    No, they will be notified once you file and will never be heard from again.
    No. And it's rarely a good idea. Consult with your lawyer about any particular creditor whom you may wish to contact, but generally the best course, once you decide to file, is to file promptly. Good Luck.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    Only if you have some compelling need to let them know. They will find out soon enough.