Will I need an attorney to get section 221.10 class b misdemeanor dismissed? 3 Answers as of April 01, 2014

Last night I was detained and ticketed in NY with a section 221.10 class b misdemeanor for smoking in public with less than .5 g in the car. I was compliant and towards the end of the process they explained that I am eligible for having the misdemeanor dismissed from my record, but I was so nervous I can barely remember what they said. How would a lawyer go about getting my case dismissed? Is it likely that it could get dismissed? How much would a lawyer for this sort of case cost? Thanks for your time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Depending on your criminal history or lack thereof, you may be eligible for a marijuana ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) pursuant to NY Criminal Procedure Law 170.56. If you stay out of trouble for one year and perform any other conditions imposed by the judge, then all charges are dismissed and sealed after the year. You can probably hire an attorney in the $500-$1500 range depending on the attorneys level of experience and the county where the charge is pending. If found guilty of a misdemeanor in NY it can not be erased or expunged and you also face possible suspension of your driving privileges for six months. If you have the means, hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/1/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You must have a lawyer. It is critical. Lawyers charge by the hour but often handle these cases on a retainer. It will cost at least $5,000 for a competent lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/1/2014
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Did you receive a pink summons? If YES, I have had great success getting these dismissed one way or another. If you hire a lawyer for a pink summons case you do not have to go to court yourself (unless Court is at W. 54th Street).
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: