Will I lose my social security disability benefits if I marry an illegal immigrant? 2 Answers as of May 13, 2011

I have SSD, and have section 8. My boyfriend lives in his family's house, so I don’t support him because I don’t have the money for it. He came to the US with a v1/v2 tourist visa that has expired he was 20 and now 25. If I marry him because I do love him, he is very nice and respectful to me will I lose my benefits? I really need I have a heart condition, diabetes and I suffer from depression. But I would love to start a family!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You will not lose your benefits. You can go ahead and marry him. He will get his green card after you file for him without the need to leave the US. Just make sure that you have someone else to vouch for him so that he does not become a public charge in the US. The person who will vouch for him will have to sign an I-864 Affidavit of support (for joint sponsorship) and you will be alright. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
If you marry him, you do not lose your benefits. But he cannot obtain any eligibility for benefits, unless he becomes a legal resident, after you petition for him/he then applies for the green card, and then he is ineligible for such public charge benefits for five years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: