Will I lose any assets I acquire during a legal separation? 1 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I filed for a divorce with my wife due to trust issues. I was worried that she was just sticking around because I'm getting ready to purchase a home and she would just try to leave me and keep the house after I closed on the home... Well, I've been thinking about reconciliation and changing the paper work from divorce to a legal separation ( not sure if I could do that, can I ? ) so I was wondering if I purchased a home while legally separated will I lose my home to my wife if we do end up divorcing? (we have two kids together )

Under the Automatic Orders you are prevented from transferring assets or incurring "unreasonable" debt while an action is pending unless you obtain a court order or the parties agree in writing, so I am not sure how you could be doing this right now. In any event a legal separation will result in the same type of financial orders as a divorce - including a division of the assets. If you wish to discuss further you can contact us.