Will I legally have to pay spousal support while separated? 2 Answers as of April 26, 2011

I have been separated for 4 years. I have a girlfriend. If my wife finds out, can she make me pay more spousal support?

It is hard to answer on the facts you give. You are legally responsible for each other's medical care while married. Otherwise is she in need of funds in order to make ends meet? If so she can apply for support. If your relationship with another woman contributed to the breakdown of the marriage your wife can claim that as a basis for seeking an alimony award if there is a divorce. But there are many other factors a court will look at when making alimony awards. If you wish to discuss further you can contact us.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
Whether you might have to pay spousal support is not necessarily dictated by whether you have a girlfriend. Spousal support is governed by Connecticut law and if it "needs" to be paid depends on many criteria including but not limited to age of the parties, length of marriage, stations in life, incomes and the like. I don't believe that your now having a girlfriend would impact it.