Will I have trouble with my green card by using Medicaid and cash assistance for my granddaughter? 4 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I am here on a Green card and have a sponsor. I got custody of my granddaughter that was born in the U.S. by court order. I am receiving cash assistance and Medicaid to help take care of her. 1. Will my sponsor be liable or get in trouble? 2. Will I have trouble renewing my green card in March?

No, you will have no problem renewing your green card. And if what you tell me is true, since you got your granddaughter by court ordered custody arrangement and the Medicaid and cash assistance is for the child's benefit, then you are not a public charge. No violation of immigration law here.
Yes, you will have trouble.
Probably not, in answer to both questions(unless you yourself are receiving such assistance).
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your grandchild is a US citizen by birth. If the cash assistance and Medicaid is for her, then you are not a public charge and there will be no adverse involvement with USCIS. Be prepared to document this when you go to renew your green card. Thank you for stepping up to care for the child when her parents could not. We need people like you to become US citizens!