Will I have to pay my husband alimony when we've been married for less than two years? 4 Answers as of July 12, 2011

I’m two months pregnant by my husband who is an unemployed alcoholic. Will I have to pay him alimony when we've been married for less than two years?

Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
Spousal support is rarely ever awarded in a marriage of less than 5 years. Unless you make a very large sum of money it is extremely unlikely you will have to pay spousal support.
You didn't indicate whether or not you are employed. If you aren't employed, it is extremely unlikely that the Court would order you to pay spousal support to your husband. If you are employed, your husband could possibly get a spousal support order for 1/2 of the duration of the marriage.
Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada
Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada | Xochitl Anita Quezada
There are two types of spousal support: temporary and permanent. The temporary spousal support is based on a pure mathematical calculation. The higher wage earner will have to pay support regardless of the circumstances if the other person requests it. Permanent spousal support is based on several factors such as age, health, education, training of the supported party. He would only be entitled to one half the length of the marriage. Because there are options available, you should speak with an attorney.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
There are a great number of factors that go into calculating alimony. Due to the fact that your marriage was less than two years, it is not likely that you would be required to pay much alimony if any at all. I would recommend contacting a family law attorney in your area to further discuss the details of your situation.