Will I have to pay child support if my wife is pregnant? 1 Answers as of November 01, 2010

My wife and I are getting a divorce and she is 2 months pregnant. I told her to get an abortion because I do not want anything to do with this child but she refused. Will I still have to pay child support even though I am divorcing my wife early in her pregnancy?

Issues related to custody, parenting time and child support cannot be determined until after a child is born. If you are determined to be the father and the mother is awarded primary physical custody, child support would be set based on your state statutes. Since the child was conceived during the marriage, you will likely be the presumed father under most state statutes. The fact that you wished to terminate the pregnancy does not change the legal issues or negate any obligation of support.

For a consultation on Minnesota issues call or visit our website.