Will I have to notify the state about an out of state DUI if I want to get my California drivers license back? 15 Answers as of February 11, 2011

I had a California license and got a DUI in Georgia. If I pay off my probation and fulfill all obligations through Georgia, would I have to notify California if I want to get my license back?

There is no requirement that you personally inform the DMV in California that you were convicted of a DUI in another state. You need to find out if Georgia is linked with California. Ask Georgia (anonymously). The one state may not know what is happening in the other state. The only way to know for sure is to go to a DMV office in California and attempt to get a duplicate or replacement license. You did not provide enough facts. Was your license taken in Georgia? Can you obtain an Georgia license?
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
No, do not notify California DMV of the out-of-state DUI. Under the Interstate Compact Agreement, the DUI in Georgia will most likely show up and you will have to deal with California DMV at that point in time. Sometimes, an out-of-state DUI will never show up. Your question is more complicated than you think. Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
If you can get a license in GA then you do not have to tell CA when you apply.
Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
Usually when you are convicted of a DUI in another state the DMV in that state will automatically notify the California DMV of the suspension if you have a California license. If the CA DMV takes action against your license and suspends the license you will have to do several things in California in order to get that license back, as will be indicated on your notice of suspension.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
California will not deny you a license for one misdemeanor DUI unless Georgia has suspended it. When you arrive in Cal simply go to DMV, fill out the application and they will issue you a new one or tell you what you need to do to qualify.
    California's DMV may not catch it, so no, you don't have to volunteer any information.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    No. There is a national database that will notify the DMV for you!
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    California is already aware of your Georgia DUI. You have to fulfill GA DUI sentencing terms before you can get your CA license back.
    They will generally find out of state convictions when running a DOJ check before taking any action such as reissuance. If they learn of it later, after re-issuance, they can simply notify you of re-suspension. You can remain silent, but not lie if asked, and see what happens.
    I would not openly disclose the DUI unless specifically asked about it.
    The dmv may be aware of it already as most states share their dmv records. If they are not.