Will I have to go to court if I file for bankruptcy? 3 Answers as of August 16, 2010

I've read about the first creditors meeting. Are there any other times when someone filing for bankruptcy must go to court? Will an attorney go to these court dates if hired?

David Nelson
David Nelson | David Nelson
Yes, you do have to go to court for your hearing. If you're in Lake Elsinore, the hearings will be located in the Bankruptcy Court in Riverside, it's right on 12th street between Lemon and Lime with parking directly across the street.

I will be there with you. It's absolutely no big deal.

Because they process between 12 and 15 cases per hour your moment of fame will only be about 3 to 5 minutes once your case is called.

They ask basically the following
1. Are you the person who signed the petition? Of course you are.
2. Did you read your petition before you signed it? Of course you will, I won't let you sign it unless you are able to read it first.
3. Do you understand the penalties of perjury? Of course, lying under oath can subject you to prison, fines or both.
4. Has any thing changed since you filed your case? For example, did your income go up or down, have you crashed your car, or had it lost or stolen, did you get married etc. Most of the time the only thing that will be a problem is if your income has gone up?

there may be others such as how did you come up with the value of your Humvee?

If you're a realtor they'll ask if you had open escrows at the time that you filed your case.

Call me to set an appointment
Yes, you will be required to attend court on other occasions. An attorney will attend these dates if hired.
Kevin Michael Muldoon
Kevin Michael Muldoon | Kevin Muldoon
You will only have to go to court if the trustee or a creditor challenges your bankruptcy. Most attorneys will charge extra for any court hearings in addition to the creditors hearing.